How Many Graduate Programs to Apply to and Where to Look
- Students are applying to less programs on average now compared to just a few years ago. This has to do with cost of the GRE, application fees, postage, and transcripts. The number of programs you apply to ultimately rests with you. Consider these links:
- Remember: If the type of program you are applying to is more competitive, it makes sense to apply to a few more places
- Applying to a variety of programs gives you a better chance of acceptance
- The number of programs to apply to vary depending on the program
- It is important to choose an APA-accredited doctoral program.
- States require an APA-accredited degree from psychologists seeking licensure.
- You can find information about which programs are accredited in American Psychologist (APA’s journal) or online:
- As of now, there are APA accredited programs in the U.S., Puerto Rico, & Canada. Programs that are APA accredited have been approved by the CoA (Commission of Accreditation).